Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup

So, I woke up this morning to a very sick husband. He was rapidly dehydrating from losing his dinner and everything else in a very stomach flu type manner. At this moment, we are still debating the ER because of the intense abdominal pain he is experiencing. My gut reaction is appendicitis.

But before I reralized just how sick he really was, I started adapting the menu plan. We make a bi-weekly menu plan that helps us keep our grocery bill reasonable and keep us on track nutritionally. But after a night like he'd had, the idea of feeding him enchilada anything seemed pointlessly cruel.

Chicken noodle soup is the perfect cure tummy trouble, bland enough to keep it down, but with enough nutrients to help him heal, right? 
In the old days, I would have opted for chicken and slicks or dumplings, arguing that making the noodles myself somehow added curative properties to the mix. I ready a book once about kitchen witchery that argued that was exactly why chicken soup has such curative prperties -- the love and concern that is poured into it as you cook.

But those options are out as they both require lots of wheat flour. In the end, I decided to add some shredded chicken breast (already prepared for the casserole I intended to make) to unsalted chicken stock and boil up some rice noodles. I had to add some salt and very light seasonings to make it tasty for the non-sick member of the family, but it came out pretty well if I do say so myself.

At this point, the hubby has not tried to eat anything for about 12 hours and he's only been able to keep down pepto bismol and water.  If he can't start keeping down something with electrolytes (they're what plants like!), we'll be headed to the ER. *Fingers crossed* that is not on our agenda today!

No comments:

Post a Comment